Everyone will love to have a piece of cake during their evening tea or coffee. A tea cake goes well with the beverage drink and is an all time favorite cake for both the young and the old. This simple butter cake is very easy to make and is delicious to eat. It is the basic recipe that is taught in many of the tea cake baking classes for beginners.
- 1 ¾ cup of all purpose flour
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (white)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Powdered sugar for dusting over the cake
The first thing that you need to do before baking any cake is to preheat the oven. This is very important. Here, for the tea cake you will need to preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Apply softened butter liberally on a 9 inch round baking pan and dust all purpose flour into it. Remove the excess flour.
- Take a medium sized bowl and add butter and white sugar and cream it till it becomes fluffy and light.
- Add eggs, one at a time and keep on beating it until the eggs get incorporated into the mixture. Add vanilla extract as well.
- Now add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture and mix it well using the cut and fold method.
- Alternately add milk into the cake batter and fold it properly. If the mixture is a bit stiff, then you can add a tablespoon or two of milk again. Once done, spread the batter evenly on the baking pan.
- Now put the baking pan in a preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from oven. Allow it to cool and then transfer it on to a serving dish. Dust powdered sugar over the cake before serving.