Special days in life calls for celebration and celebrations are not complete without a cake. Here is a cake which can be used as a center piece on the special day.
Lemon – coconut cake with fondant flowers
Your guests for the special day will be surprised by this moist cake with sweet frosting. The decoration of the cake with daisy flowers made using fondant is the highlight of this cake. To find “The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever”, Click this Link.
Ingredients for cake
- Unsalted softened butter-11/3 cups (1-2 tsp extra for the pans)
- Cake flour -4cups (some extra for the pans)
- Whole milk 1 1/3 cups
- Egg white (at room temperature) – of 7 eggs
- Pure vanilla extract-2tsp
- Baking powder- 4tsp
- Granulated sugar 2 2/3 cups
- Fine salt-1tsp
Ingredients for lemon – coconut filling
- Flaked coconut (sweetened) – 1 heaped cup
- Branded lemon curd- 2/3 cups
- Sour cream ¼ cup
- Lemon zest- 1 tbsp
Ingredients for mascarpone frosting
- Mascarpone cheese- 8 ounces
- Heavy cream-1 1/2 cup
- Coconut extract – 2tsp
- Granulated sugar- 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 3500 Take three 9 inch cake pans and butter them. The bottom of the pans should be lined with parchment paper. In a bowl mix milk and vanilla extract. Take another bowl and sift together cake flour, baking soda and fine salt.
- Beat softened butter with an electric beater at medium speed for 2-3 minutes or till the butter becomes light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar till the granules disappear and the mixture is fluffy.
- Reducing the speed of the beater to low, add sifted flour alternating with milk and vanilla mixture. Make sure that you start and end the procedure by adding flour. After each addition beat the mix just to blend the contents.
- Beat 7 egg whites separately in a dry bowl at medium speed of the mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter in these additions.
- Transfer the prepared batter into the cake pans. Bake the batter until the toothpick inserted into the center of the batter comes clean. It will require 25-30 minutes. Cool the pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the pans to release the cakes onto wire racks. Peel off and the parchment paper and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Stir together the sweetened coconut flakes, lemon curd, sour cream and lemon zest to make the lemon coconut filling. Chill this mix until it is ready to use.
- To make the Mascarpone frosting stir the cheese in a bowl till it becomes smooth and beat in heavy cream, coconut extract till the mixture is foamy. Increase the speed of the mixer to medium- high and add the granulated sugar and beat it for 2-3 minutes. Fold in the whipped cream mixture into the softened cheese and use immediately.
- Place one cake on a cake stand and spread half of the lemon-coconut filling on it. Now place the second cake above this and top it with the remaining lemon –coconut mixture. Cover this with the third cake. Apply mascarpone frosting on top and sides. Decorate with pre-made daisy flowers.