Can I substitute lemon juice for water in cake mix?
For example, 1/8 to 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice in 1 cup of water will create a strong citrus flavor. Using more than this may compromise the sweetening ability of the sugar in the cake mix, making your cake tart or bitter. Lemon adapts well to angel, layer and Bundt-style pound cake mixes.
How do you make a layer cake from a cake mix?
How do you make lemon cake from scratch?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, lemon zest, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake pulls away from sides of pan, 32 to 35 minutes.
How do you make a Mary Berry’s lemon drizzle cake?
- 225g/8oz butter or baking spread at room temperature, plus extra for greasing.
- 225g/8oz caster sugar.
- 275g/10oz self-raising flour.
- 2 level tsp baking powder.
- 4 free-range eggs.
- 4 tbsp milk.
- 2 unwaxed lemons, finely grated zest only.
- 1 heaped tbsp very finely chopped lemon verbena (optional)