How do you cook large group potatoes?
You can cook more than one baking sheet of potatoes at a time, so place as many potatoes in the oven as you have room for. Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes on one side and then turn them over and bake them for 30 more minutes. The potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork into them.
What can be made from potatoes?
Fresh potatoes are baked, boiled, or fried and used in a staggering range of recipes: mashed potatoes, potato pancakes, potato dumplings, twice-baked potatoes, potato soup, potato salad and potatoes au gratin, to name a few.
How do you make funeral potatoes from scratch?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8×8 baking dish.
- Parboil the potatoes: Scrub the potatoes clean, but leave the skins on.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions and peppers.
- Peel and shred the potatoes:
- Assemble the casserole.
- Toast the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then spoon onto plates.
Why are they called funeral potatoes?
It is called “funeral” potatoes because it is commonly served as a side dish during traditional after-funeral dinners, but it is also served at potlucks, and other social gatherings, sometimes with different names.