- Rice cooked 3-4 cups
- Lemon juice 10-20 ml
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Red chili 2 whole
- Green chili 2
- Curry leaves 10 to 20 leaves
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Cashews 8 to 10 cut or halved
- Peanuts 100gm
- Sesame oil 5-15 ml
- Salt, preferably rock salt
The lemon rice is a popular South Indian cuisine and very popular because of its taste. This rice can be best enjoyed with sambhar or coconut chutney.
- Take the cooked rice. For lemon rice, you have to cook the rice the same way you cook rice for regular use. But, add a small amount of salt in it when you are pouring water in the rice. Keep the rice aside and allow it to cool down.
- Take a frying pan, add sesame oil in it. First fry peanuts and then cashews. You will have to fry it till they get a beautiful brown color.
- Take it in a bowl and keep it aside. Now, put mustard seeds in a pan and allow it to crackle, after those add urad dal in the pan. Then put red chili, green chili, curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafetida, etc in the pan. Stir everything well, so that, everything gets cooked perfectly.
- Now, pour this tempering mix on the rice you kept in the bowl. Then add peanuts, lemon juice, cashews and salt on rice and mix it well. Cover lemon rice with a right lid so that lemon rice absorbs all the flavor.
- Increase or decrease lemon juice quantity according to the taste.
- You can also use leftover rice to prepare lemon rice, it tastes better.
- Use good quality rice for great taste.