- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 7 slices of ginger
- 2 scallions, cut into pieces
- 3 anise, the star-shaped spice
- 1 and ½ cup of rose flavored rice wine; the alternative could be Shaoxing wine
- 1 and ½ cups of soy sauce, light
- 1 and ¼ cup of soy sauce, dark
- 1 cup sugar and additional 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 8 cups of water
- 8 pieces of chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Put an instant pot on medium heat. Once the pan is hot add on oil in which put in the ginger. Sauté for some time, until it caramelizes which would take about 30 seconds. After this add on scallions; cook or sauté this along with the ginger for 30 seconds. Now add in other ingredients like the star anise along with dark and light soy sauce, salt, sugar and water.
- Cook the braising liquid. Once sautéing is done close lid of the pot; ensure that no venting happens. Allow high pressure cooking to take place for about 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken thighs. This is the next step. Release pressure in a safe manner by opening the lid; once the initial steam has escaped, slowly lower the chicken thighs into the gravy.
- Cook the chicken. Once the thighs have been added to the sauce and mixed well, cover the lid and cook on high. Make the cooking conditions similarly high pressured and keep it on for 15 minutes. After the time has elapsed, open up the cover and allow the steam to escape.
- Shred the chicken. This is the next part. Once the chicken thighs are cooked, simply shred them up with a fork. This will help the meat to mix in the sauce more.
- Serve cooked chicken on rice. Take cooked rice in a bowl and add the shredded chicken along with braised sauce on top.
- Add sautéed vegetables. Sauté vegetables of your choice in a little amount of oil in a skillet; season with salt and pepper. Add this on the side of the bowl to have with the chicken.
- Save the extra braised sauce. This can be put in an airtight container after cooling and kept refrigerated.
- The braised sauce can be used whenever; simply by adding it to cooked chicken or fish.