To Marinate the Ribs
- 1 lb of pork ribs
- ⅓ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of dark soy sauce
To Make the Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 dried pieces of shiitake mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 to 5 cloves of chopped garlic
- 3 slices of chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ cup of peas
- ½ cup of carrots, diced
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, light variety
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- Water as per rice cooker requirements
- Prepare the ribs. Add all marinade ingredients and toss the ribs in the sauce. Set aside for marination for about an hour.
- Caramelize the mushrooms. Add a tablespoon of oil in the wok; heat it to medium level and stir fry the mushroom in it till they are caramelized. Remove from wok and keep aside.
- Cook the ribs. In order to prepare the sauce, add another tablespoon of oil to a wok set ay medium heat. Brown the ribs in the oil. Add in ingredients like sugar, garlic and ginger. Once these ingredients are stir-fried add on the soy sauce, carrots and half a cup of water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Simmer at low heat till liquid has almost evaporated.
- Prepare the rice. In this step add the rice and water to the rice cooker. You could use some of the water you used to soak the mushrooms; also you could use vegetable, chicken or pork stock. Add in salt, the mushrooms and shake the mixture. Also, allow the ribs to be placed on top.
- Adding the peas. As the rice cooker cooks, a few minutes before it finished, add on the peas. This will ensure that they are cooked enough and not overcooked.
- An alternate way of cooking is to add on cooked rice to the prepared ribs and sauce.
- You can add on any stir fried vegetable dish on the side to make it a complete meal.