- Long grain rice – 2 cups
- Onion- 1 peeled and finely diced
- Medium ripened tomatoes – 2 or Roma tomatoes- 4 (cored and diced)
- Vegetable oil- 1/3 cup or 75 ml
- Garlic cloves- 4 (finely chopped)
- Jalapeno peppers- 1 to 2 (deseeded and finely chopped or minced)
- Chicken broth (low sodium) – 2 cups
- Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
- Freshly ground parsley or cilantro – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Peas – ½ cup
- Diced carrot- 1
- Put the rice in a medium-sized bowl and soak it in water for some time. Rinse it thoroughly with clean water and then drain the rice in a mesh strainer. Take a large saucepan and put it over medium heat. Now, add the oil to the pan and allow it to heat.
- Add the rice to the pan and then stir it so that oil even coats on the rice. Cook the rice on medium heat for a few minutes. Make sure that you keep on stirring the rice so that it does not stick to the bottom. Let the rice get cooked until it turns golden brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once the rice turns light brown, add tomato paste, tomato puree, diced onions, peppers, and garlic to it. Mix well so that all the ingredients get mixed with the rice. After this, you need to add the required amount of salt, carrots, peas, and the chicken broth. Allow the water to boil and keep stirring every one minute so that the salt and the other ingredients mix well. Once the broth boils, reduce the heat from medium to low. Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the ingredients to cook together for 20 minutes. Check if the water has been absorbed by the ride.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Garnish it will fresh cilantro. The authentic Mexican rice is ready. It can now be transferred to a serving dish.
- If you are a vegetarian, then you have the option to just add plain water instead of the chicken broth to cook the rice. You can even use vegetable stock instead of water to add flavor to the rice.
- If you are a fan of chicken, then you can even look to add some fried chicken cubes or boiled chicken pieces in the rice just when you are cooking it at low flame. You can add the chicken pieces to the rice for the last 10 minutes of low heat cooking.