- Four ounces of pork, chicken, or beef cutlets
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour to dredge
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 beaten eggs
- Vegetable oil to shallow fry
- 4 French bread, Telera rolls, or Bolillo
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs to dredge
- Chipotle mayonnaise
- 8 ¼ inch slices of tomatoes
- 4 lettuce leaves (optional)
- 12 ¼ inch slices of avocado
- 12 thin slices of onions
- 8 wedges of lime for garnishing
- Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 12 pickled jalapeno or 4 canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile in the adobo sauce or ½ teaspoon of hot sauce
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take the cutlet of pork, chicken, or beef and season it using salt and pepper to taste. Take a dinner plate, add flour and add salt and pepper to taste. Take another plate to put the breadcrumbs. Place the beaten egg in a large and shallow bowl.
- Take one cutlet at a time and coat it in the flour. Thereafter, dip it in the beaten eggs and ultimately into the breadcrumbs. Press the cutlet over the bread sides and do this on both sides. This way the breadcrumbs will adhere to the meat in a proper manner.
- Take a large skillet and heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil. If you want you can use extra virgin olive oil for this. Place the cutlets in the pan one at a time. Fry it till they are golden brown in color on one side or for 2-3 minutes. Flip it to fry the other side. When the other side is also done, you will have to take it out of the skillet and set it aside on paper towel so that the excess oil drains out.
- For assembling the torta or the sandwich, take the bread or roll and halve it horizontally. Now, take the center of the bread and discard them. Take chipotle mayonnaise and spread it evenly with a spatula on the bread. Place the fried cutlets at the bottom of the bread halves. Now, top it up with the tomato slices, lettuce, onion, avocado, sliced jalapeno. Arrange the sandwich and serve it by garnishing it with lime wedges.
- Chipotle Mayonnaise – Take a small mixing bowl and add the chipotle chile, mayonnaise, and lime juice. Now, season the mix with salt and pepper to taste. Taste it before adding it to the bread or roll.
- If you want, you can cook the chicken, pork, or beef in the oven. Also you can bake the bread rolls before assembling for 1-2 minutes. This will make the sandwich much tastier. If you do not want to use mayonnaise, simply use plain Greek yogurt.