- About 1kg uncooked and smoked gammon
- 2 large onions
- 100 to 150 gm granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
This is a great dish for Christmas. It is a nice hearty meal and full of flavors. You can pair it with some nice pie in the end. It is great for crowds at your home this festive season, so do not fret and get your hands together at the kitchen.
- Bring a large pot. Put the gammon in the pot and start to cook. Put some vinegar and bay leaves together too. Also, don’t forget to pour enough water all over to submerge it. Now, let it simmer and cook for like 40 minutes or so.
- Cool and skin it. Carefully cut away the skin leaving just the fat. Let it dry using a dry towel also. Be sure that the gammon has been cooled to handle properly after removing from pot. You could also dry it out completely on a wire rack.
- Bake it. Set the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare a tray, and place the gammon. Blast twice and roast for 30 minutes or so. Take it out and continue cooking the crackling for another 10 minutes. It should look deep brown or golden in color.
- Cut slices. Serve it with some drink.
Before serving, break the crackling and cut slices from it.
Keep the fat side up else it will burn right away.