- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
- 5 cups of cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1-2 fresh hot chilies
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped cilantro
- Microwave or bake the sweet potatoes till its firm. When it has cooled down, peel it and dice it into ¾ inch size. Keep it on a plate and set it aside. You can also peel, dice, and steam the sweet potato in some water until it is done.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add chopped onions and saute them on medium flame till it turns translucent. Add minced garlic and saute it for some more time to get golden onions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for salt and cilantro. Add a half cup of water and bring it to boil putting on a simmer. Make sure that you cover it with a lid. Leave it on the flame for 15 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potato and continue on low flame for 10 minute more or till the vegetables are soft and tender. This will help the flavors to blend in.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and add salt to season it. Top up each serving with chopped cilantro.
NOTES – If you have time, allow it to stand for an hour and heat through as per requirement.