- 500 grams of chicken
- 1 tablespoons chilli powder
- Salt as per need
- 2 tablespoon of curd or yoghurt, whichever is available
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter, whichever is available
- 3 medium chopped into cubes onion
- 3 large and finely chopped tomatoes
- 10 cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tej patta
- 3 elaichi
- 3 cloves (laung)
- 1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon of kasuri methi
- 3 tablespoon of cream
- Coriander leaves. For garnish
This is an easy recipe for delicious and creamy butter chicken; it is parallel to Punjabi Dhaba style murgh makhani.
- Take a bowl and marinate chicken adding all the ingredients mentioned under the section of marinating ingredients and set it aside. Overnight marinating would be preferable for the flavors to blend into the chicken.
- Take a pan. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter, and add the cubed onions till the smell of raw onion fades away. In the same pan, add some tomatoes and saute them with salt.
- Add all the spices like red chili powder, masala (garam) and powder of coriander. Also add the cashews and saute them together. Let the pan cool and blend them together with add 1 cup of tap water.
- Making butter masala (chicken). Take a pan and add some pure butter, and in that pan add cinnamon, clove, and other raw flavoring ingredients like bay lead & cardamom.
- Also, add paste of ginger garlic in the same pan. Make sure the flame is medium while you saute the paste. As all flavors are sauteed add the set aside marinated chicken and saute it till the masala dries up.
- Now pour the purees of onion and tomatoes. Let it cook till the rawness fades. Then add garam masala and powder of chili. You may add water for increasing the consistency of gravy.
- Now let it cook it until the chicken becomes tender. Add some Kasuri methi along with cream and stir. Once cooked, add chopped coriander leaves for garnish.
You may serve the Indian butter chicken with Indian bread like roti, naan, tandoor etc or jeera rice and ghee rice.
Make sure the chicken is fresh.