- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Half 2 stale White Bread sliced diagonally
- 2 + 1 eggs
- ¾ + ¾ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon + 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 5-6 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon dark rum
- Prepare the bread pudding mixture. Preheat the oven to a proper 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). Slightly stroke melted butter onto a baking dish. Take a bowl and whisk in eggs, milk, nutmeg powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, sugar, salt, and leftover butter and keep mixing it until it is properly combined. Take the slices of bread and lightly immerse them for 5 minutes in this prepared mixture and then place it on the baking dish which was earlier buttered. Pour the egg mixture which is remaining onto the placed bread. Sprinkle chopped nuts and sugar over the content. Ensure that the ingredients that you bring in to make the bread pudding are fresh and not expired.
- Bake the mixture. Place the mixture in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees C and bake for 30-35 minutes. Withdraw it from the oven once it is baked and then allow the pudding to cool. After it is cooled, refrigerate the pudding for an hour or two after coating it with aluminum foil. This pudding is to be served with some custard rum sauce.
- Prepare the rum sauce mixture. Warm the milk in a pan and gradually bring it to simmer. Whisk together egg, vanilla, sugar, and salt in a big bowl till it is light and fluffy. Gently add the hot milk into the egg mixture, carefully evading scrambling of the eggs which are also called tempering (cooking eggs without scrambling). One important step to be noted is that the milk must be poured really slowly so that the eggs do not cook too soon.
- Cook the mixture. Strain this mixture onto a pan which is to be heated. Heat the mixture while stirring slowly in order to thicken it in a slow flame. Take the pan off the heat and transfer it into another bowl once it attains the proper thickness. You can check it by dipping a spoon in the mixture and if the mixture coats the back of the spoon, then it has been cooked perfectly. Gradually warm up the egg mixture and constantly keep stirring so that it does not curdle and at this point, stir in the rum.
- Cool the custard. After the custard is cooled down to room temperature, it could be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve the custard with cold bread pudding.
- Do not over mix the dark rum else the taste will alter.
- Ensure that the pudding is fresh.