- Toor dal 1 cup
- Masoor dal 1 cup
- Crushed ginger 1 tablespoon
- Green chili, finely chopped (2)
- Powder red chili 1 tablespoon
- Water 8 cups
- Salt according to the taste
- Red chili crushed (2)
- Chana dal ½ cup
- Onion 2 medium size sliced
- Crushed garlic 1-1/2 tablespoon
- Tomato 2 chopped
- Turmeric powder ½ tablespoon
- Ghee 8 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida according to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Dal is basically an Indian recipe and it is prepared in different ways. Here, we are preparing the most popular style that is dabba style dal. It is great in taste and has a rich content of nutrients. You serve it with rice and bread.
- Take a bowl and soak all pulses mentioned above in it. You have to soak it for one hour max. Soaking in water will make it soft and thus it won’t take much time to cook.
- Now take a pressure cooker and add four cups of water in it. After that add all dals in it one by one along with salt according to taste. Close the cooker lid and place it on the stove for cooking.
- Take a pan and keep it on the stove. Put 4tsp of ghee in the pan. Now add chopped garlic, ginger. When the garlic gets light brown, add slices of onion and stir it. Once the moisture in onion is partially cooked add green chili in it.
- Saute the whole thing till onion gets brown color. After that add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder in the pan and mix it well.
- Transfer dal present in the cooker in the pan. Add some water if required and stir it constantly. Now take a small size frying pan and put it on the stove. Add remaining ghee in the pan and then put cumin seeds, red crushed dry chilies in it, asafetida and heat it. Now, transfer the prepared hot tempering mix in the main dal bowl.
- Add salt when you saute the onion for fast cooking.
- Add only red tomatoes to get the perfect red color of dal.