- 2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon of sumac
- 1 teaspoon of fresh turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of weed (dill)
- Some oil of olive
- 1 large sized sweet onion, properly chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, gingerly chopped
- 3 tablespoon of paste of tomato
- 1 to 2 properly chopped jalapeno peppers
- 5 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped or diced
- Juice squeezed out of 1 fresh lime
- Pepper and salt
- ½ cup of tap water
- ½ cup fresh and neat chopped parsley for the purpose of garnishing
- 2 lb of cod fillet chopped into 5 to 6 oz pieces
- 1 tablespoon of properly chopped fresh leaves of mint for garnishing
- Put all the ingredients together. Combine the sumac, coriander, dill weed, cumin, and the fresh turmeric in a medium-sized bowl to make the spice blend. Set this mixture aside until it is required for other purposes.
- Sauté it. After mixing the ingredients. Pick a deep and large sized skillet (with a cover), and heat 2 tablespoons oil of olive. After heating the oil, sauté the fresh onion for about 2 minutes. Then, add the jalapeno and the garlic. Start cooking it on medium flame. Stir it continuously, until it becomes fragrant and its color turns to golden. Stir it for about 3 more minutes.
- Stir the ingredients. Now it is time to add the tomatoes and the ½ mixture of the spice. Make sure to keep the remaining mixture of spice for further use. Add the paste of tomato, juice of a lime, fresh water, pepper, and salt. Stir properly to combine them. Bring it to a high simmer. After this, turn the flame down to medium-low. Cover and cook the mixture of tomato for about 10 minutes more. Now, stir occasionally.
- Season the fillets. During the stirring, season the fillets of fish with pepper and salt. Now coat both the sides with the remaining mixture of spice. Now, gently add the fillets to the mixture of tomato. And nestle the pieces of fish evenly in it. Cook it on medium-high flame for some time. Now reduce the flame to medium. Cover and cook again for 10 to 15 minutes until the fish is completely cooked (it should remain flaky). Now, remove it from flame and top it with leaves of mint and some fresh parsley. Serve it with crusty bread.
- You can also serve this dish with some Lebanese rice apart from the crusty bread.
- You can preserve this dish for 2-3 days in a refrigerator but make sure that it is kept in an airtight container.