Here are two classic soup recipes that will surely help you to change the flavors during meals and warm your body during the cold winter months.
The French onion soup
Most of us have heard about the classic French Onion soup that is much talked about. However, those who are nutritional experts might point out to the high content of saturated fat and sodium which goes against the dish. However, here is a healthier version which takes care of the two points.
- Four slices of French bread, baguette style
- One tablespoon of unsalted butter
- Six cups of onion, vertically sliced
- Half a teaspoon of sugar
- One eighth teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Three tablespoons of flour
- A box of fat free and less sodium containing beef broth
- Four cups of water
- Half a cup of white wine
- A tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Three ounces of Gruyere cheese which are cut into thin slices
How to prepare
Melt the butter over medium heat and add in the onions. Cook for about five minutes and then reduce heat and cook for fifteen minutes more. Ad in the sugar and pepper and cook till the golden brown color is attained. Sprinkle the onions with flour and then cook for about two minutes. Then add in the broth, wine and water and boil. Allow the mixture to simmer for a while before you add in the Worcestershire sauce. The bread slices can be broiled for about two minutes or till they are toasted. Divide the sup and top each of them with a bread slice and a cheese slice on top of the bread. The soup bowls can be broiled for four minutes till the cheese bubbles on top.
Turkey orzo the Italian way
This is a wonderful Italian soup recipe to try.
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- About twelve ounces of lean and ground turkey
- A tablespoon of chopped and fresh oregano
- Four ounces of sliced mushrooms
- Five garlic cloves
- Three cups of unsalted chicken stock
- Two cups of water
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- One can of diced and peeled tomatoes
- Three fourth cup of whole wheat orzo pasta
- Three cups of spinach
- Half a teaspoon of lemon rind, grated
How to prepare
You need to heat a thick bottomed pan over medium heat. Add in oil and coat the pan evenly. You can then add in the turkey and cook for about six minutes or till the meat is browned slightly. Add in the oregano, garlic and mushrooms and sauté. After that, you can add in the stock, the two cups of water as well as tomatoes, salt and red pepper. Bring to a boil. After sometime add in the orzo and cook for about seven minutes. You can then stir in the spinach as well as the lemon rind and cook for about two minutes after that.
For varied soup recipes you can check out the link Soup Recipes for the Winter.