- 1 pound of lean turkey meat, ground
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of Tamari soy sauce, gluten-free version
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger in ground form
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/4 the teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- few sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 4 bowls of cooked rice
- Set a pan on the stove top. Once it is heated to medium level, add the sesame oil. Though sesame oil is used which gives a distinct taste to the dish, any other oil can be used such as soya bean oil or rice bran oil.
- Add in sugar and caramelize it in the oil. Brown sugar has been added in this recipe but one can use other kinds of sweeteners that do not make the dish too sweet. A good substitute could be coconut sugar. The sugar helps to counter the heat of the pepper flakes. It also makes a good accompaniment to the tamari sauce.
- Sauté in ginger and garlic. When the oil is hot, reduce heat and add in the ginger and garlic. Allow them to fry till they are fragrant but do not let them burn. Add in tamari sauce and mix well at low heat.
- Add in turkey meat and sauté. The meat should be broken up properly. Turn it over and allow the meat to become brown in color. Mix in the ingredients well in the pan. Fry initially at high heat.
- Season the meat. Add in salt and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat and allow simmering by putting a lid on the pan. The meat would take about 10 to 15 minutes to cook through. Check meat consistency. Before switching off the heat check to ensure that the meat has softened and there is a thick sauce that coats it. You can add in a little water to prevent the meat from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with rice. To make it a complete meal, take warm, pre-cooked rice in four bowls. Top each bowl with the meat. Garnish, this can be done with cilantro, chopped before serving.
- Green onions can be used in place of cilantro for garnishing.
- More vegetables can be added to the ground turkey meat such as carrots, whole peppers like capsicum and beans to make it a more wholesome dinner. Alternately you can serve this dish with a vegetable on the side.
- Brown rice could be served instead of white or sticky rice.