For Sponge Dosa
- 2 cups of ponni rice or dosa rice
- 1 cup of poha medium avalakki or attukulu
- ½ cup of a skinned black gram or urad dal
- 1 ½ teaspoon of methi or fenugreek seeds
- Butter oil as required
- Salt as needed
- In order to make the sponge dosa, wash the rice and then soak it in some water. Allow it to rest in water for five hours.
- Now, take the urad dal, wash and soak along with the fenugreek seeds with some water for five hours. Make sure that you wash the poha before you grind the batter. Take a blender jar; add salt, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds with 1 cup of water. Blend them till it forms bubbles. If you need, you can add more water to the mixture for blending. Make sure that you have a smooth batter. However, the batter shouldn’t be too runny.
- Transfer the batter to a big bowl. Put the rice in the blender jar along with ¼ cup of water. Blend it to form a smooth mix. Mix it with the urad dal batter. Combine it properly. Let it ferment for 8-12 hours.
- Take a large skillet, one tablespoon of oil or butter to the skillet. Pour a ladle of batter and spread it throughout the skillet using the back of the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes and flip. Lower the flame and cook to make it crisp. Serve with chutney.
- You can serve the dosa with sambar if you want.