- About 100g or 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups of water
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon pure ghee or butter
- Saffron, a pinch (optional)
A classic main course meal in India and around consists of rice. The basmati rice is a kind of long grained rice used for several dishes in combination. It can also be paired with daal or some gravy like chicken curry and enjoyed. It is a hearty meal, indeed.
- Bring a large skillet. Bring a large bowl or skillet and put the rice in it. Add edible water and rinse it properly. If they are pre-washed, you won’t see much.
- Soak them. In the same bowl or skillet, after rinsing pour additional water to completely submerge them and soak them for like 30 minutes. This is the container where you are going to cook rice, preferably.
- Drain it. Now, after 30 minutes, drain all that extra water. Put the rice in a cooker or pot or in the same skillet and add just two cups of water. Add the salt and two to three drops of oil.
- Allow boiling. Bring the rice to boil at medium heat. Don’t cover. Then, reduce heat, put the lid and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the flame. If any extra water remains, it will evaporate with the heat. Saffron can be added at the end.
Rinsing removes extra starch and any other things. You will find the water running whitish while rinsing.
The water should always be double the quantity of rice.