- ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound of chopped kale leaves (take a bunch and shred the leaves after removing the stems)
- 1 cup of thinly chopped red cabbage
- 1/3 cup of chopped cashews
- ½ cup of shredded carrots
- 1 medium-sized red onion finely minced
- Firstly, we need to prepare the Greek yogurt dressing. Take a medium-sized bowl and add Greek yogurt, olive oil, and salt. Stir the mixture with a spoon and add black pepper, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, sugar, and minced garlic. Blend everything for a minute and keep it aside.
- Next, you need to preheat the oven up to 375 degrees. This would take around 15 minutes so you can set the temperature before preparing the dressing. Now take a big bowl and add the chopped kale leaves. Pour half of the dressing mixture and massage the leaves for 2 to 3 minutes. The more you massage, the softer your kale would be. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 to 6 minutes so that the leaves would absorb the ingredients.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the chopped cashews by roasting them. This would make the cashews quite fragrant. You can dry roast them in a pan or heat them in the oven for around 10 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet and set it aside until the cashews cool down. Now mix half of the cashew pieces with the kale leaves. Also add minced red onions, carrot shreds, and chopped red cabbage. Toss the mixture for a minute to blend all the ingredients. Now pour the remaining dressing and toss again. Your salad is ready. To augment the flavors, let the salad rest in room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Before serving sprinkle the leftover cashews. You can also season it with onion rings or chili peppers. Make sure that you check the taste and adjust the ingredients if you feel something is missing.
- You can reduce the calories by using fat-free yogurt. This may taste a bit different but it would make the salad lighter and healthier.
- For better results, prepare the dressing 30 minutes before you add it to the kale leaves. This would make the dressing more aromatic and flavorsome.
- Besides cashews, you can use nuts like almonds or Brazil nuts for garnishing. You can also consider using some chopped cilantro to make the garnishing more refreshing.
- To make the kale leaves less bitter, you can massage it with olive oil and refrigerate it overnight. You can also reduce the proportion of leaves or add more vegetables like chopped cucumber or tomatoes.