- 1 cup of Andouille Sausage cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
- ½ cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese (part skim) or Monterey Jack
- Peel the sweet potato and grate it finely or shred it. But if you want something more stylish than shreds, then you can use a spiralizer and carefully cut the sweet potato into strips. By the time you cut the potatoes, you can preheat the oven up to 375 degrees.
- Once the potato strips are ready, keep them aside. Now take a big skillet and pour the olive oil. Heat the skillet on a medium-high flame. Once the oil is heated, add chopped onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. When the onions turn soft, add the sausage pieces and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. This would make the sausage release a very strong fragrance. Now add the potato strips and toss well. Close the skillet with a tight lid and turn down the flame to a medium-low. Let the vegetables and sausage cook for around 7 to 10 minutes. After that remove the skillet without opening the lid and set it aside.
- Now take a bowl and whisk 4 eggs. Take a medium-sized skillet and grease it well with cooking spray. If you do not prefer cooking spray you can use cooking oil or butter. Heat the skillet on medium flame and pour the whisked eggs. Let the eggs cook for nearly 2 minutes. This would make the bottom layer hard. Now top it evenly with the sausage mixture and press gently to combine it with the half-cooked layer of eggs.
- Now whisk the other 2 eggs and evenly pour over the layer of potato strips and sausage. Top the frittata with shredded cheese and let it cook for about 4 minutes. Now transfer the frittata to the preheated oven and cook for another 5 minutes. This should set the top layer of eggs. Now turn on the broiling mode of your oven and cook for 3 minutes. This would melt all the cheese shreds on your frittata. Now remove the frittata from the oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
- To make the sausage pieces in your frittata cook faster you can cut them into thinner pieces or slices. Instead of sweet potato, you can also use baby potatoes or gold potatoes. If you want a healthier frittata, you can add some finely chopped ginger and garlic pieces while sautéing the onions.
- There are endless ways to modify your frittatas. Garnishing with cilantro is also an optional step. You can either skip it or garnish with other items like onion rings, bell peppers, or chili peppers. You can make the garnishing more aromatic and delicious by adding spices like black pepper or cinnamon powder.