- 1 pound of 0.5 kg of lean ground beef
- 3 cups of diced or sliced potatoes
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of cheddar shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup of fresh milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with the potatoes. You take a few large potatoes and wash them properly. The skin may or may not be peeled as per your wish. The skin has nutrients too. Now, take a sharp knife and cut thin slices of the potatoes just like you see in chips like Lays. Cut as thin as possible without stressing, I mean. This is the base of the dish.
- Keep the oven ready. Set the temperature to something like 350 degrees F or about 175 degrees C. This will be used later.
- Prepare the beef now. Take a large skillet about the size where you can mix and toss the beef properly. Pour the ground beef into it. Do not add any oil because the beef will start releasing fat that turns into greasy oil. Keep stirring it so that the beef turns slightly brown and the fat is drained properly. Excess of fat will make the casserole too greasy.
- Prepare the mushroom soup. Take another mixing bowl. Pour the cream of mushroom soup into it, the onions, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix them well now. This is important because a lot of taste belongs to the mixture here.
- Now, take a baking dish. In a large baking sheet that is already prepared with grease or sheet. Layer the potatoes, the meat, and the soup alternatively. You can take a small sized tray like 11×7 inches. Put up to 2 to 3 layers as per the mixture available. Bake them now for about 1 hr or so. Check if the potatoes are tender. Bake for 30 more minutes if not. Add cheese and melt it while baking. Remove it now and serve hot.
- It is a good side dish to serve with rice or the main course. Also, you can use bread.
- Remember to wash the potatoes properly before cutting and not wash them after cutting. This takes away the taste.