- 4 strips of bacon, chopped or diced in small cubes
- 3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of your favorite oil for frying
- Breadcrumbs or Panko
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with the mashed potatoes. Here if you just took out them from the fridge, let them aside for 30 minutes and return to normal temperature. Sprinkle a little water and use a masher to mash them a bit. They should turn soft.
- Heat a large skillet. Put the flame to medium-high and put the bacon for cooking. Stir them till they turn nice brown and crispy. It can take about 7 to 8 minutes to do so. Transfer them to a paper towel and set them aside.
- Prepare a frying pot. Pour the oil and let it heat for a while. On the other hand, prepare the main mixture of potatoes. To save space use the same pan for the bacon and then for frying. There is not much difference in this process.
- Take a big bowl. Put the mashed potatoes in it. Add the chives, pepper, cheese and the bacon. Mix it well. This mixture must be uniform as it gives the final balls the chewy taste. The cheese must mix well.
- Prepare the balls. Take a scoop size portion from the mixture. Use your clean hands to make a ball about the size of an inch in diameter. You may be able to make about 20 to 25 depending on your mixture. This will be fried now.
- Prepare the dip. Take a small bowl and beat the eggs. Taken one ball at a time, dip in the eggs and then into Panko or breadcrumbs. Put them one by one into the skillet with oil already heated. It can take between 2 to 3 minutes till they turn golden brown. Transfer them to a paper towel for soaking extra oil. You may garnish with some more chives or cheese over the top.
- This is an amazing appetizer. You may also have it an evening snack with something to drink like juices or soft drinks at a party is also a great idea.