- About 2 quarts of strawberries
- Lemon juice, 1/2 cup
- Sugar, 5 cups
This is a great idea to make an old fashioned strawberry preserve and jams at home. The technique can get you a lot of expenses saved. About 10 pints of jars can be made in less than 2 hours, which is just wonderful.
- Keep the berries ready. First, wash the strawberries properly and remove their stems. For a guide on how to select the best strawberries look online. Learning to select the best strawberries can make your preserve a lot better.
- Chop or mash them with something, till they turn into a puree. Let it sit for 2 to 3 hours.
- Add the mixture to a pot and slowly cook at medium heat till it starts to boil. You have to keep stirring frequently. Keep boiling for like 5 minute more.
- Pour the lemon juice now to the mixture. Stir it gently. Let it boil for another 5 minutes.
- Now, pour the jam into clean and clear or transparent jars. You can buy new ones or use ones from earlier purchases of jams itself. Put the lid. Now, place them inside a bath canner and boil for like 10 minutes or so.
- Remove them from water, and let it cool down. Allow it to get to room temperature. You can store them, if you like, in a cool dry place for up to one year.
You can reuse jars of jams you had purchased previously or buy new ones.
The jars that don’t close properly must be discarded or used soon.