- 10oz or 300 gm white crab meat
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- A handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 red deseeded chili, finely chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 100 gm gluten-free bread with removed crust
- 4 ½ tablespoon of mayonnaise + more to serve
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- Vegetable oil or sunflower oil for frying
- Take the gluten-free bread and place it in the food processor. Blend it to get fine breadcrumbs. Take a bowl; combine the crab meat with the chopped shallot, chili, coriander, lime zest, and lime juice. Also, add 50 gm of breadcrumb to the crab mix. Mix well and add mayonnaise. Add black pepper and sea salt to taste. Now, mix everything together so that it is combined in a consistent manner.
- Divide the mixture into twelve equal portions. Make small flattened balls from the mixture of crab and vegetables. Refrigerate the mixture for half an hour. Place the beaten egg in a bowl and take another bowl put the remaining breadcrumbs. Take out the crab balls from the refrigerator and dip it in the beaten egg yolk evenly. Thereafter, roll it in the breadcrumbs till it is evenly covered. Now, allow it to rest for some time. Better still, keep it in the refrigerator.
- Take a medium size pan and put in medium heat. Add vegetable oil or sunflower oil to the pay and allow the oil to heat up. Now take out the crab cakes from the refrigerator, place it over the heated, oil one by one and fry it. Fry the crab cakes till it is brown and crisp or for three minutes. Now, turn the other side and fry again for 3 minutes or till it is golden and crisp. Take out the fried crab cakes with the help of a slotted spoon and drain it on a kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with green salad, lime wedges, and some mayonnaise.
- It is great to make the crab cake balls way ahead of time. Just make as many as you want and keep them in the refrigerator till you are ready to prepare them.
- You can also use cream cheese instead of mayonnaise. If you want to avoid dairy use dairy-free cream cheese. If you do want to use sea salt, you can replace it with regular salt. You can cook them in butter instead of olive oil. Cook half in olive oil and the half in butter. You can serve them as an appetizer or as a meal. They are tasty irrespective of their size.
- Fry it like a patty and serve it with gluten free bread like a sandwich.