- 2 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken thighs (or simply chicken medium cut pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin oil
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 3 diced cloves of garlic
- 3 large sprigs of thyme
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup of freshly chopped spinach
- 1 and 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the oven first. Set the temperature to 400 degrees F or 204 degrees C and preheat it.
- Prepare a large skillet. Take a medium-sized deep and wide skillet or a large oven-safe utensil. Heat some oil in it. Let it get warm on medium heat. This is to prepare the base for cooking the chicken.
- Start with the chicken now. To season the chicken, take them and spread salt and pepper uniformly by guess. Bring them to the hot pan prepared above and place them on their sides. For thighs, place them side by side generously. Sear them for 4 to 5 minutes when they turn brownish or burnt red. Once all the pieces are done, remove and keep them aside in a plate.
- Prepare the gravy. Having put the chicken pieces aside, return to the pan still at medium heat. Add the diced onions and diced garlic to it. Saute it till they turn brownish or caramel color. The onions may look translucent. It can take around 4 minutes to get it done. If you find the pan has dried, add a bit of olive oil and let the onions cook.
- Add thyme and lemon juice. Throw the sprigs. Take the leaves from the thyme, throw them to the onions. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Prepare the lemon now. Now, it’s time to crush the lemon and juice it. Take care not to add the seeds. It wouldn’t matter but pay attention. Add the juice to the onions being cooked. Keep stirring them frequently to let the things mix well.
- Prepare the stock now. Having made the mixture ready, add the chicken stock and the chopped spinach to the same pan. Stir the mixture and mix it well with the onions and all. Bring the pan to simmer, place the seared chicken thighs back into the pan now. Put some chicken broth over the pieces to keep it moist.
- Now it’s time to bake. Place this pan uncovered into the oven that was already preheated. Allows the dish to cook for like 15 to 20 minutes. Once you see the chicken is cooked, remove it. Serve hot with chapattis (flatbread) or rice.
NOTES – It is ok to use vegetable oils too if you cannot find olive oil. The same recipie can be prepared with other meats also.