- 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth stock
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 14 ounce can of roasted and diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can of green chillies
- 4 cups of shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken cooked
- 11-ounce pack of steamed corn
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 8 ‘ Old El Paso Burrito (or your favorite brand) Tortillas
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon of seasoning for tortillas
- Get a medium-sized skillet. We begin by heating the vegetable oil in a medium-sized skillet. You can also try high heat, but reduce it to low once the oil starts to evaporate. Now, it’s time to add onions and garlic. Keep the heat low and slightly saute them till they turn light brown or golden brown. It will remain translucent actually. This will be slightly under-sautéed, which means that the onions will remain a little bit crispy and not completely moist.
- Adding the main ingredients to a slow cooker. Once you have sautéed the above preparation, transfer them to a medium-sized pot. Place this on a high heat flame. Add all the ingredients we listed above, except the tortillas. And, of course, if you have anything for garnishing. Stir it properly till they mix well. Keep stirring for around a minute or two while on high heat.
- Now we will let it cook, slowly. Once done with stirring, allow the pot to be covered and cook for 2 to 3 hours on high heat. Note: You can slow cook it on low flame for 4 to 5 hours.
- Prepare the tortillas just before serving. Heat the canola oil or vegetable oil in a small pan at medium heat. Cut the tortillas into halves, and cook them in small portions. They will turn nice brown and crisp in 2 to 3 minutes of cooking. Remove them, and drain the excess oil with a tissue paper. Now, spread the taco seasoning and salt over them for spice.
- Just add them over the previously cooked chicken soup mixture from the pot. Garnish as you like and serve with hot and crispy tortillas.
NOTES – Try to get the low fat shredded chicken because of high nutritional value. This does not change the taste of the dish but is aimed for a healthy diet. Similarly, you can also go for low-fat sour cream to add to the dish. To avoid an oily affair, we use less oil. It is also to promote this as a healthy snack or meal.