- 3 cans/boxes (about 15 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (about 6 oz) of tomato paste
- 1 and 1/2 pound of ground beef or pork, as per your taste
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Start with a Dutch type oven. So, add your ingredients like beef, onion, pepper, garlic and all the vegetables till they turn nice brown in color. You must stir them frequently till they cook and turn golden brown. The meat will look tender and the fat will be drained out.
- Now add the tomatoes. Stir the diced tomatoes without draining or anything directly into the oven. Add the paste, brown sugar, oregano, basil, thyme, and bay leaf now. Keep stirring the mixture a bit for like 2 minutes.
- Add the broth. It is time to add water or broth and reduce the heat to medium. Allow the mixture to boil. Cover it and let it simmer at even reduced heat for up to two and half hours till your sauce is prepared. Check with the consistency and thickness you desire. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with hot cooked spaghetti.
- Always use the best quality of tomatoes you can find. The ones without BPA are also advised for healthier sauce consumption with your meals.
- The easy way to figure it out is if they come in boxes or cans. Always go for the boxes.