For the Crust
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of cold butter cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (teaspoon)
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg (teaspoon)
- 6 to 9 tablespoon of water
For the Filling
- 6 cups of tart cooking apples cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Start with a medium size mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients under “For crust” into the bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and mix them into the bowl with a pastry mixer or blender. The mixture would resemble like a coarse bit of crumbs. Now, add the water to it and moisten it a bit. Mix it again with the fork or spoon and leave it aside.
- Time to refrigerate. The above mixture is the dough. The dough should be cut into two halves. You make out two balls from them; flatten them with your hand or something like bread. Wrap them carefully with plastic food wraps. Keep it inside the refrigerator for like 30 minutes or so. This step is important.
- Preheat the oven now. Set the temperature to around 400 F. This will keep the oven ready.
- Roll the dough into circles. Take one dough first. Try to roll it out to a 9-inch circle. Use a lightly floured surface to rest them. Fold them into quarters and place them in a pie plate. Unfold and place them firmly against the bottom and the sides of the pie plate. If there are extra parts around the plate, trim them and make it evenly around the plate.
- Take a small bowl. Add all the ingredients from under “For filing” except the apples. Mix them properly with a spoon or something. Add the apples to them. Use a spoon to spread the apple mixture into the crust.
- The second dough is rolled to 12-inch circle. Once rolled out, place it over the pie filling. Fold into quarters. Then, cut 5 to 6 large slits in the crust. Don’t forget to brush it with melted butter and sprinkle the brown sugar. Finally, cover the whole thing with aluminum foil.
- Bake now. Keep it for around 35 minutes. Bake for another 15 minutes after removing the foil.
- Serve this after cooling for like 30 minutes or more outside.