- 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large onion finely chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 14 ounce
- 1 can of tomato paste or puree, 14 ounce
- 2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of basil
- 1/2 tablespoon of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Spaghetti is a great weekend meal for a change. Making its sauce at home is a great idea because you can do your own adjustments as your family likes it. Make it more sweet, hot and spicy as you wish. Making double or triple batches can be stored for later use too.
- Bring a Dutch oven. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, pour some oil and the onions. Saute it for 5 minutes or so till it turns nice golden and brown.
- Add spices. Add the garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and bay leaves to the oven. Cook for a minute or so and make it well.
- Add tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, the sauce, paste, sugar, broth and vinegar and continue stirring it. After some 3 minutes bring it to boil and stir once more properly. Reduce the heat now and let it simmer. It can take around 40 to an hour.
- Follow the package instructions to cook the spaghetti. Mix and enjoy.
You can use a large pot too instead of a Dutch oven.