- 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 14 ounce
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of basil
- 1/2 tablespoon of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
The homemade sauce is best if your family loves spaghetti a lot. Once made, you can freeze it and reuse it the next day, even better if you add the meatballs to it. This will keep it ready beforehand. Spaghetti is a great weekend meal for a change.
- Bring a large skillet. Put the flame to medium heat and pour some olive oil into it. Put the onions and sauté them for around 2 minutes or so. Also, add the garlic and saute for a half a minute or so.
- Now, the broth. Pour the chicken broth, the tomatoes, the fennel, sugar and other ingredients to the pan. Continue stirring gently and mix them well. Bring them to simmer for like 10 minutes or so.
- Simmer more. Reduce the heat now to low. Continue stirring a little, and simmer for like an hour now. Do come and stir a little in intervals of 15 to 20 minutes. This improves consistency.
- Remove from heat when the sauce has reached your desired thickness. Store it after cooling it in a jar
You can use this in canning too. Also, you can store it for the long term.