- 3 large cups of cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or butter
- ½ tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chilli, broken in to pieces by hand
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chana daal
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric, for color only
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Salt to taste
The rice and curry is a combo that every Indian relishes. The lemon rice is a great way to use the leftovers or make some fresh rice if you want. It is different and adds a nice change from regular boiled rice. Add it with a curry of your choice and enjoy.
- Take a big bowl. Pour the cooked rice and add the lemon juice and salt to it. Taste it right now for the tangy-ness you prefer. Mix them well with a spoon.
- Bring a skillet or pan. Put it to medium heat. Add the oil and heat it for a minute. Add the red chili and saute, add the mustard seeds and let them burst well. Add your daal now, and mix. Add the peanuts and continue stirring. Just a quick stir and you see them brown already. Add the turmeric quickly. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook nicely.
- Add the rice and mix it well. Cook for like 3 minutes and you are done.
You can use leftover rice, or freshly boil about 2 cups of raw rice, for two persons.
If you just made fresh rice, let it cool down completely first before going to Step One.