- Pinto or dried beans – 1 pound
- Yellow or white onion- 1
- Garlic clove- 1 large (crushed)
- Guajillo chili – 1 (deseeded and without stem)
- Kosher salt (according to taste)
- Black pepper- a pinch
- Water to cook the beans
- Dried oregano – 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Take a large pot and transfer the pinto beans into the pot. Add cold water into the pot so that it completely covers the beans. You need to make sure that there are about 2 inches of water sitting over the beans in the pot.
- Add a quarter of the onions, crushed garlic, salt, and black pepper to the pot and cook the beans. You need to first cook on high for a few minutes until all the contents start to boil. Now, reduce the heat to simmer and you need to cook the beans with a lid on top of the pot for about an hour or so. The beans must be cooked until it turns tender. Drain the beans after it has cooked and do not throw away the bean water. You need to store it for later use.
- In a large pan, add olive oil and cook it over on medium-high heat. Add some crushed garlic, the remaining onion, and the chili and sauté it until the chili becomes soft and the onions are slightly brown. Add the cooked smooth beans into this pan and allow it to mix with the other ingredients in the pan. Keep on stirring it and mixing it for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bean water to the pan and now start to mash the beans in the pan so that it turns into a coarse and chunky paste. Use a potato masher to soften the beans. Now, turn the heat to medium and keep on stirring the mashed beans to get the desired bean consistency. If you would like to enjoy thinner refined beans you can add more water to the beans. Finally, check the seasoning.
- The refined beans can be stored in the fridge and it will last for a week. It can be reheated either on the microwave or the stove.
- You can add a tablespoon of the bean water that you reserve while reheating to ensure that the beans are soft and moist.
- You can also store the cooked beans added to the beanwater in the fridge for about 2 weeks and consume it when you want.