- 1 How do you make old fashioned fudge from scratch?
- 2 What ingredients are in homemade fudge?
- 3 What makes fudge grainy?
- 4 Why use evaporated milk in fudge?
- 5 Is condensed milk the same as heavy cream?
- 6 Is condensed milk bad for you?
- 7 Why condensed milk is bad?
- 8 What is a healthy substitute for condensed milk?
- 9 Can I eat condensed milk raw?
- 10 Why is it called evaporated milk?
How do you make old fashioned fudge from scratch?
- Grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C).
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into prepared pan and let cool.
What ingredients are in homemade fudge?
What makes fudge grainy?
Why use evaporated milk in fudge?
A lot of big crystals in fudge makes it grainy. By letting the fudge cool without stirring, you avoid creating seed crystals. The more you stir, the more crystal seeds you get. But instead of getting a few huge crystals (and grainy candy), you get lots and lots of tiny crystals, which make for thick, smooth candy.
Is condensed milk the same as heavy cream?
Evaporated milk is milk that has been cooked to reduce its water content. It is more stable than regular milk and it can be cooked at high temperatures without curdling, a real benefit to fudge. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for it in a fudge recipe.
Is condensed milk bad for you?
No, these both products are different. Heavy cream is like whipping cream which content fat percentage from 34 to 40. It contains milk fat, mil solid, stabilizer ( not more than 0.3%). Whereas sweetened condensed milk having fat percentage from 9–15 %, and total milk solid should not be less than 31%.
Why condensed milk is bad?
Sweetened condensed milk is high in calories and unsuitable for people with cow’s milk protein allergy or lactose intolerance. Its sweet flavor may be off-putting for some and doesn’t typically serve as a good substitute for regular milk in recipes.
What is a healthy substitute for condensed milk?
Like all dairy products, condensed milk can go bad. Because of the sugar, the shelf life of sweetened condensed milk is longer than that of its unsweetened counterpart. Once opened, the shelf life is quite short, but still longer than other dairy products like yogurt.
Can I eat condensed milk raw?
Cream of Coconut: Cream of Coconut works well as a sweetened condensed milk alternative, and can offer a wonderful tropical flavor to your desserts. Substitute it for sweetened condensed milk using a 1:1 ratio. Do not confuse this with Coconut Cream, Cream of Coconut is much sweeter, and sold in separate cans.
Why is it called evaporated milk?
There are certain foods we love so much that we unashamedly eat them straight from the container with a spoon. Sweetened condensed milk is one of those foods. We know what you’re thinking — it’s sugar overload, it’s thick and sticky, it’s syrupy and it is definitely not to be consumed on its own by the spoonful.