- 1 What can I do with sour cucumbers?
- 2 What can use sour cream for?
- 3 How do you fix an Armenian cucumber?
- 4 Can you eat the skin on an Armenian cucumber?
- 5 Can you eat raw Armenian cucumber?
- 6 What is the most common cucumber?
- 7 Which cucumber is the healthiest?
- 8 What’s the best tasting cucumber?
- 9 Should I peel an English cucumber?
- 10 Which cucumbers are not bitter?
- 11 What is the sweetest cucumber?
- 12 Should you eat cucumber peels?
- 13 Which cucumber is best for weight loss?
- 14 What is the best cucumber for pickles?
- 15 How can you tell the difference between a pickling cucumber and a regular cucumber?
- 16 Which cucumbers are crunchy?
- 17 Can you use any type of cucumber for pickles?
- 18 How many cucumbers do you get per plant?
What can I do with sour cucumbers?
How to reduce bitterness
- Discard the bitter parts. When the bitter compounds make their way into the cucumber, they are concentrated at the stem end (where the stem was attached) and just under the skin.
- Add salt.
- Add sugar.
- Don’t use it.
- The best method for specific types of food.
What can use sour cream for?
Sour cream is incredibly versatile and lends the richness of cream to any dish, while providing the lightening properties of buttermilk and yogurt to baked goods.
- Make Creamy Savory Dishes.
- Use in Sandwiches.
- Make Salad Dressings and Dips.
- Enhance Baked Goods.
- Create Ice cream or Smoothies.
How do you fix an Armenian cucumber?
- Rinse cucumbers, and use a mandolin to slice them into thin slices.
- In a medium-size pan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, and peppercorns.
- When mixture has cooled, add to the sliced cucumbers and gently mix together.
- Place in refrigerator for at least three hours prior to serving.
Can you eat the skin on an Armenian cucumber?
Feggous or Armenian cucumbers often have a curved shape (hence the “bendy” name) and have thin, ridged skin. They‘re somewhat drier than regular cucumbers and all of it is edible; nothing goes to waste as usually the skin is eaten, too.
Can you eat raw Armenian cucumber?
Armenian Cucumbers: Long, thin, and with a thin skin and soft seeds, Armenian cucumbers are ideal for eating raw, not pickling. This is my favorite cucumber, because the tiny seeds are barely there, the skins aren’t tough, and they just look really cool when you prepare them because of their ridged texture.
What is the most common cucumber?
Garden cucumbers are the most common cucumbers in North America. They are relatively smooth-skinned and dark green. Cucumbers sold at grocery stores tend to be waxed to help them retain moisture. For this reason, you’ll want to peel these cucumbers.
Which cucumber is the healthiest?
Cucumbers are members of the plant family Cucurbitaceae, which also includes squashes and melons. The most common type of slicing cucumber found in a grocery store is the garden cucumber, Cucumis sativus, according to World’s Healthiest Foods.
What’s the best tasting cucumber?
The 5 Best–Tasting Cucumbers to Try This Season
- Painted Serpent Cucumber. You won’t find these at the grocery store as their shape makes them tricky to transport in distributor trucks (we source locally so we can deliver them to you with shape still intact!).
- Kirby Cucumber.
- Persian Cucumber.
- Japanese Cucumber.
Should I peel an English cucumber?
English cucumbers are long and straight, with a thin skin with ridges. The flavor of an English cucumber is sweeter than the standard cucumber, and it doesn’t need to be peeled or seeded before eating! Because the thin skin is so fragile, it’s sold with a plastic covering in the grocery store.
Which cucumbers are not bitter?
Cucumber varieties with low levels of cucurbitacins include Jazzer, Holland, Lemon, Aria, and Marketmore 97. Keep a garden journal and note varieties you have grown that were not bitter tasting.
What is the sweetest cucumber?
Striped Armenian (aka Painted Serpent) Striped Armenian is one of the sweetest cucumbers. It has small seeds and thin skin. Though it looks like a cucumber, it is actually a melon—a species of Cucumis.
Should you eat cucumber peels?
You can eat the peel of a cucumber. In fact, it will add fiber and vitamin A to your diet. Just be sure to wash the cucumber first.
Which cucumber is best for weight loss?
A medium-sized cucumber has only 24 calories, which makes it a very low-density food. Making such foods part of your diet is beneficial for weight loss because they fill you up at less number of calories.
What is the best cucumber for pickles?
Kirby cucumbers are the classic pickling cucumber — they hold up better than English cucumbers during pickling, remaining firm and crunchy instead of becoming overly soft. I’ve also found that Persian cucumbers make very nice pickles — they have thinner skin and are the perfect size for packing into pint jars.
How can you tell the difference between a pickling cucumber and a regular cucumber?
Pickling cucumbers are shorter and bigger around than slicing cucumbers. They are bred to have thinner skins and black spines so the pickled product will look better. Pickling varieties can be eaten fresh and slicing varieties can be pickled, but the differences can be discerned by the average consumer.
Which cucumbers are crunchy?
Kirbys are small and stout with a bumpy skin that is usually a mix of green and yellow patches. Becuase of their incredibly crunchy texture. kirby cucumbers are just begging to be pickled.
Can you use any type of cucumber for pickles?
You can use whichever kind of cucumbers you want: Small pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers or English cucumbers (the ones that come in shrink-wrapped). If you want the softest skins and fewest seeds possible, go for the small pickling cucumbers. This also recipe works equally well for making whole pickles.
How many cucumbers do you get per plant?
Generally, a healthy pickling cucumber plant produces about 5 pounds of cucumbers per plant. If you plant cucumbers for slicing and eating fresh, plan on growing about 2 to 3 plants per person in your household; healthy plants generally grow 10, 6-ounce cucumbers per plant.