- 1 What is Elotes?
- 2 What is street corn made of?
- 3 Why is it called Mexican street corn?
- 4 What do you put on corn on the cob?
- 5 What to add to corn to make it taste better?
- 6 What tastes good with corn?
- 7 How long should you boil corn on the cob?
- 8 How do you know when corn on the cob is done?
- 9 How long should an egg boil?
What is Elotes?
Elote is made with corn on the cob, slathered with mayonnaise, seasoned with chili powder and fresh lime juice, sprinkled all over with salty Cotija cheese and cilantro. It’s messy to eat but worth every bite. Elote is the perfect summertime side dish for any Mexican-inspired meal.
What is street corn made of?
MEXICAN STREET CORN — Grilled corn is tossed with mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and spices in this delicious Tex-Mex side dish (Torchy’s Tacos copycat). A Torchy’s Tacos recently opened up where I live, and I think my favorite thing on their entire menu is the Mexican Street Corn.
Why is it called Mexican street corn?
In Spanish, the word “elote” literally translates to “corn”. Known widely for its street food, most specifically antojitos (little cravings), corn serves as a primary ingredient for the city’s street vendors. Unsurprisingly so, elote is served covered in butter, mayonnaise, cotija cheese and chili powder.
What do you put on corn on the cob?
6 Ways to Dress Up Corn on the Cob
- Sweet and spicy. Blend butter with honey and cayenne and spread it on the corn before grilling it (with the husks pulled back on) until it’s tender.
- Parmesan butter. Up the umami quotient of corn by basting it with a garlicky Parmesan butter as it grills (husks off).
- Seasoning salts.
- Roasted garlic.
What to add to corn to make it taste better?
Add butter, garlic, parsley (if using dried), salt and pepper. Simmer until the liquid is almost completely gone, about 5-7 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings (if you’re using fresh parsley, add at this point).
What tastes good with corn?
6 Toppings to Make Your Grilled Corn Even Better
- Mexican-Style. Top corn on the cob with chili powder, cotija cheese, cilantro, lime juice, and a touch of mayo (you can also substitute butter), to make this Mexican-style street food at home.
- Bacon + Basil.
- Greek Yogurt + Herbs + Crumbled Feta.
- Basil + Parmesan.
- Harissa + Feta.
- Sriracha + Beer Butter.
How long should you boil corn on the cob?
Gently place ears of corn into boiling water, cover the pot, turn off the heat, and let the corn cook in the hot water until tender, about 10 minutes.
How do you know when corn on the cob is done?
How do you know when boiled corn on the cob is done? When the corn on the cob is fully cooked the yellow color of the corn is more intense. The kernels are plumper and more tender. You can test it by pricking a kernel with the tip of a sharp knife.
How long should an egg boil?
Place eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let the eggs cook, covered, for 9 to 12 minutes, depending on your desired done-ness (see photo).