- 1 tablespoon of whole white peppercorns (if not then black)
- 1 cup of fresh dill leaves (1 big bunch)
- 250 grams of rock Salt (if not then normal salt)
- 250 grams of white sugar (if not then brown sugar)
- 1 kg of salmon (sashimi- grade)
For the Mustard Cream Sauce
- ½ cup o 125 ml of heavy or thickened cream
- 1/3 cup of Dijon mustard or hot mustard if possible
- 2 tablespoons of Mustard powder
- Salt (as per taste)
- Pepper (as per taste)
- Lemon juice or lemon zest (optional)
- Brown bread slices or any other bread or crackers as per your choice
- Fresh lemon wedges
- ¼ cup of roughly chopped fresh dill or coriander
For Mustard Sauce
- Take a bowl or a pot add ½ cup or 125ml of heavy/ thickened cream, 1/3 cup of Dijon mustard or hot Mustard, 2 tablespoons of Mustard powder, salt and pepper as per taste and mix all of them very well you can also add lemon juice or lemon zest if desired.
- The Salt mixture, First crush the whole white peppercorns with a knife or grind them in a grinder, in a cup or a pot add crushed white peppercorns (or roughly ground peppercorns), salt as per taste, sugar as per taste and finely chopped dill or coriander and combine them.
Prepare the Salmon
- Take 1 kg of salmon make sure it is sashimi- grade, clean it nicely (don’t rinse it too much) remove all the bones and don’t remove the skin.
- Prepare the next, take 2 large sheets of cling wrap on a work desk, keep it somewhat overlapping, now evenly spread half the salt mixture in the shape of salmon on the sheet and place the salmon on the salt mixture, wrap the cling wrap over the salmon and put it in a large plate or dish, on the top place something flat like small cutting board or anything flat. Place it in the refrigerator for 12 hours, a liquid will form in the dish turn over the salmon and again plait flat surface on it and refrigerate for another 12 hours, again turn over the salmon put weight and refrigerate for 12 hours, now remove the salmon from the refrigerator. Minimum 36 hours are needed for a salmon to taste perfect.
- Unwrap the salmon, brush off the salt and rinse it, pat dry salmon. Place the uncovered salmon in the refrigerator for 3- 12 hours for better results do this only if time permits.
- Give it a final touch, Sprinkle the remaining dill all over for Garnishing and enhanced flavor, give small cuts on the angles and slice it, don’t cut through the skin (do not eat the skin). Serve it with mustard Sauce, drill and any toasted bread.
NOTES – You can cure the salmon before 3 days also and cover it tightly.