How do you make brown gravy with flour and water?
Sprinkle the flour over drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until brown. Gradually stir in milk, whisking with a fork to scrape up all of the meaty bits from the pan, then gradually whisk in the water. Increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 10 minutes.
How do you make brown gravy from scratch without drippings?
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Once hot, add the onion and a big pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and and salt and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the broth/stock and cook until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk.
How do I make gravy from scratch?
Quick and Easy Gravy From Scratch
- How to make the best, most flavorful homemade gravy with or without pan drippings.
- Step 1: Make a smooth paste from melted butter and flour.
- Step 2: Whisk in stock, broth or liquid left in a roasting pan.
- Step 3: Season with salt and pepper and optional ingredients.
- Step 4: Add a splash of half-and-half or cream.