Can you use a food processor to make pastry?
Using your food processor when making shortcrust pastry is dead easy and super quick. Put the flour, salt, chilled butter and sugar (if the pastry is sweet) in the bowl of your food processor. Use the pulse button to process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
What can I use instead of pie crust in a food processor?
There are 6 easy ways to make a pie crust:
- Food processor.
- Hands (not recommended since the heat from your hands can melt the fat)
- Two Knives.
- Pastry cutter.
- Stand mixer (with paddle attachment)
Is it better to make pie crust with butter or shortening?
The pros: Shortening has a higher melting point than lard or butter, so it’s easy to incorporate into pie dough and roll out. It’s also helpful when making any kind of decorative pie crust, because doughs made with shortening hold their shape the best during baking.
How do you make pie crust from scratch without shortening?
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour (you can use whole wheat here, but it won’t be as tender.
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1/3 cup cold butter or lard or firm coconut oil (coconut oil will make a slightly tougher crust, but still yummy)
- 4-6 Tablespoons cold water.